Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Kindle Mediameditation 4


This week in Media and Society I got to take my first look at a kindle, which is Amazon.com's E-reader.
I cannot embed it but here is the commercial for the kindle
Picture from here
First Impression: Is that it?
First seeing it i thought to myself that cant be it, but indeed it is only about 3/5's the size of a piece of paper from note book.
I was never partial to reading books. They never interested me not because I did not find them interesting it is because I cannot read very well. I got my literature through other media for example the Audio Book was one of my constant companions though child hood. Fall asleep listening to the Hobbit or the newest Harry Potter was always great. Listening to the same tape over and over again was essentially re reading favorite passages from books.
With this under my belt I do not view the kindle as an invading force to stamp out the existence of print media. Because having gone outside the normal realms of reading I still think that the media experience you get from reading a book is magnificent. The blanking out of thought the only sensor input is from your eyes, it allows you to imagine what you are reading. This is a parallel with Audio Books because sometimes when you do not have the time to read you can listen and imagine why you do some repetitive task.

1 comment:

  1. I LIKE audio books, too, Skyler!

    I always like listening while driving long distance - you make some good points here.

    Find some GREAT Kindle adverts on YouTube - embed one here.

    And make this post EXCELLENT.

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete